Thursday 7 March 2019

True unveiled life 2

And so, today, in a small room crowded with joy I met our newest congregation member. 

She was surrounded with the love of four brave women. 

One was her proud adopted granny (and birth partner). The other three are women who were born under African skies - her mother and two sisters of solidarity: all three seeking sanctuary in a land far from their beginnings.

This little one, today an example to me of true unveiled life.

And her mum wanted a blessing for her. What a privilege, to pray God's rich and endless blessings for this child who has, by her birth, become a sign of hope and a blessing to this an anonymous flat. That was straightforward enough.

But then, her mother wanted also to receive the mark of Christ, the cross of ash. 

'Remember you are but dust,' I intoned, 'and to dust you shall return. Turn away from your sin and be faithful to Christ.'

This seemed to be right as I marked each of the women's foreheads. 

But then, the proud and deeply faithful mother - who pronounced 'I know I am loved, I know God loves me' - held up her three-day-old baby girl. She took off her little woolen hat and this new life's unveiled face looked up.

What do you think I should say? Could I use the same words? Should I use the same words?
A verse from Psalm 51 drifted across my mind as I dipped my thumb into the oily pot of ash: 'Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me.' Recoiling from that verse, looking down at that beautiful unveiled life, I still said those words: 'Remember you are but dust....'

What would you have said?

3 comments:

  1. What a moving and profound thing to be asked to do.

    We are born equal. All of dust, all created. And yet we are born into an unequal world. And as a girl, this tiny baby, enters a world where women across the world face inequalities which we remember on this International Women’s Day. Women are still oppressed, silenced and disempowered. There is still gender pay inequality. Poverty still has a woman’s face. How might we campaign and act for justice so that this beautiful baby may be free to live fully and abundantly?

    What would I say to her?
    “You have been made in the image of God. You are a beloved daughter of God”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like 'Christ claims you for His own'. I know it is from the baptism service and so perhaps not appropriate in this situation but whatever your gender, race or life situation it is heartfelt, true and universally applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would modify psalm 17 :6-8 and 15 to pray for the new born.

    I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
    turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
    7 Show the wonders of your great love,
    you who save by your right hand
    those who take refuge in you from their foes.
    8 Keep this baby as the apple of your eye;
    hide her in the shadow of your wings.
    When she awakes, May she see your likeness.

    I also looked up how Jews would pray for a newborn baby girl only to discover there was traditionally no religious welcome for infant girls. However, reformed Jews do have prayers such as the following which I found on reformjudaism.com

    Prayers of Welcome and Thanksgiving

    A blessing of welcome:

    Welcome in the name of the Creator.

    A blessing recited by the mother:

    We praise you, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe: You hallow us with Your Mitzvot, and command us to bring our daughters into the Covenant of Life.

    A blessing recited by the father

    We praise you, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe: You hallow us with Your Mitzvot, and command us to sanctify our life.

    The Shehecheyanu recited together by both parents:

    We praise You, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this season.

    The baby's parents also may recite these words:

    May we lead our daughter in the way of righteousness. Teach us to guide and instruct her, that she may grow up to be loyal to Judaism and a worthy member of the Jewish community.

    ReplyDelete