Thursday 2 April 2020

Psalms for Turbulent Times - Psalm 16: You alone are my Life Keeper


  Psalm 16 – Three Ways 
   (with NIV & The Message translations and my own)

Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.
   Keep me safe, O God,    I’ve run for dear life to you.
   Shield me from harm, O God, in these Covid days,
   for you alone are my Life’s Keeper within the rich web of life-savers.

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”
   I say to God, “Be my Lord!”  Without you, nothing makes sense.
   Without hesitation I say: ‘You are my Good when confusion reigns.’

I say of the holy people who are in the land,
   “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
   And these God-chosen lives all around—  what splendid friends they make!
   I am inspired by faithful friends who hold fast to you;
   they keep me facing forward with love,
   not looking over my shoulder with fear.

Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
    I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
    or take up their names on my lips.
    Don’t just go shopping for a god.  Gods are not for sale.

    I swear I’ll never treat god-names  like brand-names.
    I will not waste my breath following fake news fanatics
    or swear by false gods of hope who cannot be trusted on social media.

5  Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.
   My choice is you, God, first and only.  And now I find I’m your choice!
   For You alone are the source of life, and knowing this makes me secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.
   You set me up with a house and yard.  And then you made me your heir!
    You have been so faithful to me, my Lord,
    and have provided all I need in placing me here and now.

7   I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
   The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake 
       is confirmed by my sleeping heart.
   The wisdom you give me when I am awake
    gives my heart the peace to sleep –
    if only I’d trust this daytime wisdom in deep night.

8   I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
    Day and night I’ll stick with God;  
    I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go.
   Although there is so much that shakes me in these days,
   yet I know with your trusted hand and your eyes on me,
   I will not crumble;  

 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure,
    I’m happy from the inside out,  and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed.
    I still find joy in my heart at the thought of your sovereign safety,
    and I rest secure;

10  because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
     nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
     You cancelled my ticket to hell— that’s not my destination!
     because you love life, Lord,
     and will restore your needy faithful ones to fulness of life forever.

11   You make known to me the path of life;
      you will fill me with joy in your presence,
      with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
      Now you’ve got my feet on the life path,   all radiant
       from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, 
             I’m on the right way.
       And for the rest of my life you will carry on guiding my steps
       into paths that bring life and everlasting joy in your presence.
       Nothing can shake your hold of me. You will not let go of me.



Perhaps you would like to re-phrase this psalm today. What words would you like to use?

In vs1 would you prefer, 'guard', 'shield', 'preserve', 'overshadow' or 'protect'?

In vs5 there are hints of biblical verses from Joshua 19.9 when the newly distributed people of Israel entered the promised land and were designated 'portions' of land by lot - some fell in pleasant places. What would your reflection be of your thankfulness for the life you have and the way God has provided for you?

In vs7, the NIV tells us that the psalmist 'praises the Lord' for his counsel; the NRSVA translates this as 'bless the Lord': this word bless is 'barak' in Hebrew, and the root of that word means 'to kneel', as in paying homage to a sovereign ruler. But this ruler is also close at hand (vs8) - as close as the psalmist's right hand. How would you like to reflect that sense of bowed-down-worship to so close-at-hand a God?

In vs9, there is another word which the NIV translates as 'secure', which in the Hebrew (betah) is a root word that means 'trust'. The whole psalm speaks clearly about someone whose trust is so great that they rest secure even when surrounded (as in psalms 13-15) with things that shake them. Security is not an achievement so much as a result of trust. How would you like to describe your trust in God in this time of worldwide and close-at-home challenge?

And in what way is this psalm for you an example of the vision of St Paul in his letter to the Romans of a depth of trust that knows that 'neither death nor life... will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord'? (Romans 8.38-39)? Do you believe that 'even Covid19... will be able to separate us from the love of God? For the psalmist is convinced there is an 'unbroken relation between the Lord and life' (James L Mays, Psalms, Interpretation (Louisville, John Knox, 1994) p88).

Why don't you have a go.....?
  




2 comments:

  1. Thank you Paul. Its funny how different verses come back to you at this time. I am reminded of Genesis 50 21
    'Therefore do not be afraid I will provide for you and your children' the earth is finally getting her sabbath as we all remember how to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold me, O God, for in your eternal arms of love I am at peace;
    I know for sure that every blessing comes from you.

    My heart is uplifted by the love and prayers of those around me;
    by salt of the earth people doing their best.

    I will not follow those who pursue selfish actions,
    with no regard for others,
    the path of personal pleasure.

    You, and you alone, are my daily bread;
    I drink from your living waters;
    my whole life depends on you.

    You have blessed me with so much from birth;
    a life of great privilege.

    I praise you for your gift of faith;
    even at night, when asleep or wakeful, your voice of tender love speaks to me.

    Your love compels me to live in your presence each and every day;
    with you, before me and beside me, I know you will always be my strong foundation.

    Therefore in my innermost being is your deepest peace
    my heart sings your praise;
    and I am confident that nothing,
    nothing can separate me from your love.

    For you are the Resurrection and the Life;
    you are the life giver and you delight in bringing life.

    Lord, lead me by your hand into your abiding presence,
    the place of joy and peace,
    and I will know eternal life.

    ReplyDelete